Rachel’s Night Shelter
Assists shelter residents in establishing and meeting realistic attainable goals the lead to achieving stability and obtaining safe, stable housing. Develops a strong working knowledge of community resources and establishes collaborative working relationships with colleagues within and outside of Catholic Charities.
1. cASE MANAGEMENT FUNCTIONS
- Work collaboratively with Rachel’s Women’s Center staff to identify potential shelter residents
- Review behavioral expectations and available services with new residents at the time of admission. Review each resident’s intake file for accuracy
- Within 48-72 hour of entry, meet with each new resident to identify her individual strengths and barriers interfering with resolution of homelessness
- In collaboration with residents, establish a housing plan and realistic goals that are achievable within 90-120 days.
- Provide information about resources appropriate to each woman’s needs, to assist residents in accomplishing their goals, placing special emphasis on housing, increasing income and skill development
- Provide diversion and housing navigation services for residents, complete Vulnerability Index-Service Prioritization and Decision Assistance Tool (VI-SPDAT) when appropriate
- Reviews each resident’s file at least twice a month, preferably weekly, to determine what is working well and where adjustments are needed to improve resident outcomes
2. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS
- Develop a comprehensive base of knowledge of county wide resources that address the needs of people experiencing homelessness. Maintain up to date knowledge about community resources
- Attend Coordinated Entry System navigation ‘match’ meetings when invited to advocate for residents and facilitate access to housing
- Participate in case management, training, conference and program monthly meetings as directed.
- Work collaboratively with coworkers within Catholic Charities Homeless Programs, including Rachel’s Women’s Center behavioral health team members
- Establish and nurture collaborative relationships with colleagues from other agencies providing similar or complimentary services
- Fosters a trauma informed, safety focused culture within Rachel’s Night Shelter
- Documents all contacts with residents in files and Clarity HMIS and CES (coordinated entry housing placement system)
- Complete and submit all required monthly reports and assigned paperwork as needed in a timely and accurate manner.
QUALIFICATIONS, EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree in Human Services, social behavioral sciences or related field or minimum one year case management/navigation experience with people experiencing homelessness
- Minimum one-year experience serving people living with substance use disorders and/or mental illness
- Ability to speak effectively, with individuals and before groups of women. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Bilingual Spanish speaking preferred but not required.
- Strong computer skills and ability to become proficient with data base software.
- Solid working knowledge of Motivational Interviewing, Stages of Change, Housing First and harm reduction approaches to service delivery
- Ability to multi-task, organize, and prioritize
- Ability to work effectively with others and independently
- Candidates with lived experience are encouraged to apply
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to walk; sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand.
Ability to walk for up to 8 hours per day with intermittent occasional standing, bending, squatting, or climbing
The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds
Specific vision abilities required for this job include the ability to see close up
TIME COMMITMENT: Full -Time: 40 Hours per week, evening and weekend availability required
SCHEDULE: 6:30 AM to 3:00 PM
SALARY: $16 per hour
How to Apply
Email Resume to:
PO Box 121831
San Diego, CA 92112-1831