The Grants Accountant position prepare financial billings consistent with contracts, month-end accruals, GL reconciliations, financial transactions, and financial reports from accounting software. The Grants Accountant will analyze financial statements to prepare variance analysis and projections.
The business and social environment we operate in has changed. What worked yesterday may not work today and will likely not work tomorrow. To thrive, we must incorporate new ways of thinking and embrace new practices. As part of our individual and agency cultural change process, it is critical that all employees of Catholic Charities aspire to the following:
- A commitment to the agency’s mission, vision, and values;
- A commitment to excellence in everything we do;
- A commitment to excel at performance and quality improvement;
- A commitment to outcomes and measured results;
- A commitment to innovation and to what is possible.
Accounting and Financial support
- Verify, allocate, and reconcile transactions
- Invoice funders monthly for expenses incurred in their grants
- Work with the Controller in researching financial transactions
- Provide monthly variance analysis and expense projection analysis with detailed explanations
- Ability to read contracts and understand allowable expenses and reporting requirements
- Assist programs in reporting so that every grant does over or under expend their funds
- Follow up on billings with funder to ensure prompt payment of billings
- Provide expert financial support to Controller and programs as requested .
- Maintain contract files with copy of contract, contact information, copies of all invoices with backup for calculation of invoice amounts, and other needed documents and log of invoices and payments.
- Prepares invoices based on actual expenses, contract terms and budgets. For contracts that require draw down of funds, do prepare on-line draw down report after review by Controller.
- Prepare monthly journal entries to record indirect cost, in-kind cost, volunteer hours, food donations, and accounts receivable or other items specific to each contract.
- Review monthly reports on each grants with the Controller and provide expert variance analysis with detailed explanation for forecast expenditures to program year end
- After the monthly close is completed and review is done with Controller post statements and analysis in a shared drive for Directors review.
- Assist Directors in Annual Budget preparations and mid-year budget adjustments
- Review contract for each new grant to thoroughly comprehend allowable costs, budget, and financial reporting requirements.
- Track and log all accounts receivables and funds received from contractor and follow up monthly when funds are past due.
- Keep Controller informed of any issues related to your contract.
Other business office Functions
- Assist with internal and external independent and program audits, prepare audit schedules
- Prepares journal entries
- Assist in budget preparations
- Provide clerical and administrative support to Controller as requested
AGENCY ENGAGEMENT/ PROCEDURES
- Keeping Controller and Program Directors appraised of issues and/or financial problems so that prompt resolution may occur
- Perform other duties as required.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND SKILLS REQUIRED:
- Bachelor’s degree (B. A.) from a four-year college or university; or two years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Requires a minimum of two years of work experience in non-profit accounting; preferably in a non-profit environment.
- Reliable and trustworthy; sound decision-making skills.
- Requires excellent computer skills in Microsoft Office Software.
- Ability to become proficient with, Blackbaud accounting software.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as percentages and variances.
- Ability to work professionally, cooperatively and collaboratively with all levels of employees, management, and external agencies to maximize performance, creativity, problem solving, and results throughout the agency.
- Passion and enthusiasm for the mission of CCDSD and its clients.
- Ability to work 40 hours per week, Monday thru Friday,
- Ability to focus and be detailed oriented.
- Ability to work well independently and possess sound communication skills to interact with vendors, management and co-workers.
- Requires ability to sit up to 8 hours per day with frequent walking, standing, bending, squatting, pulling and pushing.
- Requires ability to keyboard at computer for up to 8 hours per day.
- Occasionally may be required to carry and lift items up to 25 pounds.
Catholic Charities reserves the right to revise job descriptions as the need arises. This job description does not constitute a written or implied contract of employment.
Employment Status: Non- Exempt
Work Schedule: 40 hours per week
How to Apply
Email Resume to:
PO Box 121831
San Diego, CA 92112-1831